The Cleveland Hotel

The Cleveland Hotel

12/06/2012

Friday Night Review

Hiya gang, firstly my apologies for review being late, secondly, a short update on Ian 'Sproggy' Sproson, Ian's away on holiday in Russia!! yeah I was surprised too, but he ended up singing with Morris troupe & playing their big base drum?? I'm sure we'll get the full story when he's home. On Friday I was surprised that there wasn't more people to see Claire, although on a positive side those who had battled the bad weather were a really good bunch, also such an array of excellent talent. The night began with our 'temporary resident singer' the wonderful, Keep The Change Bob, who very kindly stood in for Sproggy and got the evening off to a good start. I've always tried to encourage diversity at the club, so I was really pleased when Alex Keelan, new to the club and a friend of Claire's got up and read poetry she had written, which was really good, followed by her sister Fran, who played and sang one of her own songs, excellent talent obviously runs in the family. Claire had asked that I let people perform in the first half of the evening then she would do complete second half, an odd way of doing things  I know, but it did work out well.  Michael Burns previously from Northumbria sang a couple of traditional style songs, then David Gordon and finally Steve Whoolley, time for a break me thinks!!

Claire opened the second part of the night with well known songs including Ordinary Rebel, The Fleece song, Enough is Enough and more. For Claire's final song at the end of the night, Claire gave out 'shaking ffruits' as percussion instruments and Dick 'Weymouth' one of our regular members now, was talked into  playing a slide whistle next to her and other audience member joined in from their seated places Michael Burns played Mandolin, Keep The Change Bob on guitar, and Di Williams on the tin whistle then all joined in for a big finish. I hope I can try to put a recording of that on the blogpage. What a finish!! hope to see you all next time, luv Lxx 

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I came across this blog when googling for Di Williams, a singer I used to know in Manchester in the mid-80s. I played on a cassette album she made, which I still love. Would you have contact details for her, or be able to pass on mine? Norman Lamont (not that one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi i came across this blog

    while looking for di williams too.I have her cassette album too and treasure it. will she be playing at your folk soon.? when is the next night. janet.

    ReplyDelete